Encode the patterns of Wooden Block Making
What you’ll do
- Book personalized Live Experience with Gayyur Ahmed.
- Curation of the session based on the questions asked to the customer.
- See yourself through the eyes of an artist or simply observe the genius at work.
- Understand the traditional Wooden Block Making.
- Live demonstration of what goes into this elaborate process.
- Learn different materials, techniques, and the importance of drilling in Wooden Block Making.
- How the blocks are created along with the design engraving on it
- How cleaning of the blocks is done.
- Get your hands on the wooden blocks and make a masterpiece with the pioneer.
- Artist also briefs you about from where you can procure the material and tools for the art form.
- See how blocks give rise to repeat patterns on fabric and bring about satisfying prints and handicrafts.
- Maximum 2 people can book an experience. In case if you are more in number than you can drop an email to us on email@example.com
- Rajasthan Studio Team Member would be there to help you
About the Artist
Gayyur Ahmed comes from a 400 years old traditional family of wooden carvers pf Jaipur. Gayyur learnt his art from his father; his grandfather too was a carver. His unique skills brought him the prestigious Certificate of Merit by the Government of India (Ministry of textiles) in 2014.
To be able to share all that he knows to the extent possible; in his words: “Let’s work together, and learn as much as we can.”
National Merit- 2014
State Award- 1987
Gayyur Ahmed is the proud owner of a workshop in the old city of Jaipur. The studio meets all the basic requirements which encompass all raw material, tools and ready products. The location is easily accessible and close to places of interest. It is perfect for foreign and Indian travelers, artists, art enthusiasts, students, designers, etc.
About Wooden Block Making
The tradition of making hand-printed textiles is widely practised in Rajasthan and is characterized by the use of imprints of geometric as well as stylized floral and animal forms. There are craftsmen that specialize in making blocks for block printing. The speciality of the blocks from Jaipur is the depth and intricacy of the carvings, which allows for a cleaner surface and clearer printing.
Also peculiar to Jaipuri blocks is the number of air passages drilled through the blocks to ensure circulation of air in the block during the printing thus preventing the fabric from lifting when the block is raised.
Up to 2 people
Material for making a wooden block, tea and refreshments