ReviewsNo reviews yet
Reflected in its stunning temple architecture, Sandalwood Carving is an art form that goes back centuries, with its origin in Uttar Pradesh. Later, the immensely talented artists used the skill to create small artefacts of daily use. In Rajasthan, hailing from the famous Jangid family of Jaipur, we bring to you Mahesh Jangid who has been practising Sandalwood Carving for years.
Rajasthan features different types of wood carvings. The most conspicuous of all is the sandalwood carvings. It can be seen in furniture items, decorative pieces, toys and house-hold items. Craftsmen from the Jangid community craft sandalwood into profusely patterned, exquisitely intricate and highly decorative artifacts. The objects fashioned range from one inch long supari, betel nut case, to a three feet tall doll.
Did you know? Indian sandalwood is very sacred in the Hindu Ayurveda. The wood is used to worship lord Shiva and it is believed that goddess Lakshmi lives in the sandalwood tree.
Mahesh Jangid and his sons are a unique team blessed with an exquisite art of world-class sandalwood miniature carving. Mahesh Jangid won a National level Award in 1993 and his sons, Mohit and Rohit are State-Level Awardees as well. They have been actively participating in National and International Exhibitions in Delhi, Germany, Poland & Switzerland to nurture their imaginative zeal.
Mahesh Jangid’s studio is an amazing workspace to visit which is artistic and elegant, with all kinds of Sandalwood Carving artefacts. Experience the world of sandalwood carving with Mr. Mahesh Jangid. Sit alongside him and create your own crafted keychain or candle holder and take it home along with the unforgettable experience, a newly-learnt skill, the infinite memories, and the connection you have built.
- Take a cultural walkthrough of Sandalwood Carving with the master artist
- Get a live demonstration of the entire process - cutting the wood in shapes & sizes, drawing out the design on a sheet of paper, using sharp edged shaping tools, carving minute & intricate designs, finishing & smoothening.
- One-on-one conversations with the state-winning artist
- Co-create a cherished memory
- Take home a little piece of Jaipur with you
- Be assisted by Rajasthan Studio team
- Small Group Sizes
- Sanitised Studio
- Raw materials and tools
- Specialized bilingual guide
- Handcrafted Souvenir to take home
- Tea/Coffee and boxed refreshments
- Photos and videos of the experience
- Sightseeing of the area