ReviewsNo reviews yet
At the dawn of the 16th century, when Jaipur was being conceptualized, craftsmen from all over the country were invited to aid the settlement with their skill. Amongst these were the artisans of Tarkashi who migrated from Uttar Pradesh. Soon, Tarkashi became a part of Jaipur’s culture. Mohan Lal Sharma, your curator of Tarkashi Engraving invites you to this must-do Jaipur Art Experience.
Taar means wire. The technique of inlaying a fine flattened wire of brass/silver or gold in wood is called Tarkashi. The patterns are usually geometric and these hand-crafted boxes, decorations have adorned everyday objects in the culture of Rajasthan for centuries to express royalty.
Did you know? Tarkashi work can be seen in the old palaces and mahals of Rajasthan. These palaces have beautifully inlaid doors with ivory and intricate floral or geometric patterns.
Mohan Lal Sharma learnt the art of Tarkashi at the age of 14 from his brother and Guru, Shri Gopal Lal Sharma. Since then he has created a lot of work on Rosewood timber (sheesham) and other mediums and has received a National Merit Certificate, State Award and a National Award in 2013.
Spend a day with award winning artist Mr. Mohan Lal Sharma and learn the art of Tarkashi. Step into the artist's shoes and co-create your very own tarkashi keychain or a paperweight to take home as a souvenir along with infinite memories and invaluable skills of an unexampled art form.
- Take a cultural trip to the world of Tarkashi Engraving
- Get a live demonstration of the entire process - selecting finest woods, cutting into desired shapes, inlaying ‘tar’, drawing patterns, hammering, finishing up
- One-on-one conversations with the national-award-winning artist
- Co-create a cherished memory
- Take home a little piece of Jaipur with you
- Be assisted by Rajasthan Studio team
- Small Group Sizes
- Sanitised Studio
- Raw materials and tools
- Specialized bilingual guide
- Handcrafted Souvenir to take home
- Tea/Coffee and boxed refreshments
- Photos and videos of the experience
- Sightseeing of the area