Discover a new Art-form, Meet the Inventor
What you’ll do
- Book personalized Live Experience with Harsh Chhajed.
- Curation of the session based on the questions asked to the customer.
- See yourself through the eyes of an artist or simply observe the genius at work.
- Understand the intricate details and techniques of Samudari Jhaagh (Sea Foam) Carving.
- Live demonstration of what goes into this elaborate process.
- Understand the broad aspects as well as the nitty-gritty of this art called Samudari Jhaagh (Sea Foam) Carving.
- Learn about different techniques, materials, tools and brushes used for the same.
- The artist also briefs you about where you can procure the material and tools for the art form.
- Maximum 2 people can book an experience. In case if you are more in number than you can drop an email to us on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rajasthan Studio Team Member would be there to help you.
About the Artist
Harsh Chhajed is a self-taught artist. Being an only child in the family he was never allowed to venture out much, which gave him the opportunity to venture inside the art and discover Samudari Jhaagh (Sea Foam) at home. The insides of sea froth were used for cleaning windows of heritage buildings, but the artist started carving on it and invented this art form. He received his first National Award- Certificate of Merit for Master Craftsman in 1982.
National Merit Certificate – 1982
Government of Rajasthan Handicraft Award- 1987
Best Sculptor: Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi, Jaipur – 1974
Best Sculptor: Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi, Jaipur – 1979
Bronze Medal: Tulika Kalsker Parishad, Udaipur- 1980
Maharana Sajjan Singh Award: Maharana Mewar Foundation, Udaipur – 1990
Brahmi Kala Puruskar: Vichar March, Calcutta – 1983
All India Shwetamber Sthanakwasi Jain conference Yuwa Prakosth, Jaipur – 1994
Prashasti Tamra Patra: Rajasthan Divas Samaroh Samiti, Jaipur – 1996
Vocational Excellence Award: Rotary Club of Udaipur – 2009
The artist believes in drawing inspiration from his surroundings and the beauty which moves him. You can see a lot of local gods, mythological characters and legends in his art.
Inspiration and concentration are never too far away in the studio which is filled with tools, references, raw materials as well as finished pieces. Just get in, listen, observe and get lost in the meditation that is art.
About Samudari Jhaagh (Sea Foam) Carving
A one of a kind art form discovered by the artist himself, Sea Froth is made of Magnesium carbonate and Calcium. It has a hard shell and softer insides. The insides of sea froth were used for cleaning windows of heritage buildings, but the artist started carving on it and invented this art form.
Carving material, tools, brushes, tea and refreshments